Varza in Cluj
We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- wash the cabbage, cut it into strips, rub it with salt and smother it with oil and water
- clean the onion, cut it into small pieces and heat it in oil until golden, then add the minced meat, season with salt and pepper and simmer them together, adding water if necessary.
- wash the rice and boil it in 2 cups of water (300 ml) and a pinch of salt
- after they have boiled, we leave them all aside
- grease a pan with oil, place a layer of cabbage, one of meat, one of rice and a tablespoon of sour cream and continue like this until the compositions are finished, and the last layer must be of cabbage over which we place the sliced tomatoes, put the remaining sour cream and put the cabbage in the oven for 30 minutes on a suitable heat
Cabbage in Cluj
1. Dissolve the sauerkraut sheet by sheet and wash in two cold waters, then drain well in a sieve. Chop the cabbage into thin strips and put to harden in a large saucepan or skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of lard. Cook the cabbage for about 15-20 minutes, over medium heat, stirring often, until it begins to soften.
2. Meanwhile, clean, wash and finely chop the onions. Heat 1 teaspoon of lard in a large skillet and add chopped red onions, sprinkling a pinch of salt from the beginning and sautéing over medium to low heat until translucent.
3. After the onion has softened, add the minced meat and mix well with a spoon / spatula to dissolve. Saute the meat with the onion for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently, until it turns completely brown, then turn off the heat.
4. Season the meat to taste with salt, pepper, thyme, sweet paprika and ground cumin (if desired).
5. Mix the meat well with the spices and set aside until we use it.
6. Once the sour cabbage has begun to soften, turn off the heat and season the cabbage with ground pepper to taste and dill or dill seeds (if desired). We do not add salt, because the cabbage is already salty.
7. Separately, in a saucepan, boil the rice in half a liter of lightly salted water, for about 8-10 minutes, then drain it of the liquid through a sieve.
Preparation of Cabbage in Cluj, assembly of the preparation
1. Switch on the oven and set at 190 ° C.
2. Grease with 1 teaspoon of lard a heat-resistant form, I used a form of embarrassment with the dimensions of 24 × 36 cm. Spread evenly 1/3 of the amount of cabbage in the form and lightly compact.
3. Place half of the amount of boiled rice in a uniform layer on top of the cabbage layer and lightly compact.
4. After the layer of boiled rice, a layer of meat follows, we will spread ½ of the amount of minced meat, in a uniform layer.
5. Continue assembling in the same way: over the first layer of minced meat, another layer of one third of the quantity of cabbage follows, then a layer of the rest of the boiled rice, a layer of the remaining minced meat and, of course, a layer of smoked meat, I used homemade ham cut into thin slices, you can use kaizer or smoked sausages, necessarily finely sliced.
6. Necessarily, the last layer will be of the remaining cabbage (last third), the preparation will be lightly compacted and then all the cream will be distributed on top, which we will spread in a uniform layer.
If you want to use broth, which is not necessarily specific to this preparation, it can be added after the last layer of cabbage. Keep in mind that the cabbage is already sour and the broth can make it even more sour.
Preparation of Cabbage in Cluj - cooking in the oven
1. By the time we assembled the layers of the preparation, the oven was already heated to 190 ° C. We will shape the oven at a medium height for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned on top.
2. In the end, it looks something like the one seen in the picture below and I regret that I can't pass on the smell to you, this food whose recipe is so old is very, very beautifully flavored! Leave to cool in the form for about 15 minutes, then serve.
Cabbage from Cluj - way of serving
Cluj cabbage is served hot and, although it is practically drowned in cream, in my opinion it needs even more! What's more, winter food, when you don't count calories or cholesterol!
For a vague illusion of freshness, I sprinkled my portion with a little freshly chopped dill. Would that have made her healthier? And even if not, look how beautiful the layers look! Great appetite!
Cabbage recipe from Cluj
It is a very delicious dish and is made very quickly. In 50 minutes you will be able to savor the preparation. Here's how to make, step by step, this cabbage recipe from Cluj.
- 500 g minced meat, mixture of beef and pork
- 750 g of finely chopped sauerkraut
- 150 g of rice
- 100 ml of tomato broth
- 100 g of cream
- two onions
- salt pepper
From the very beginning, it is important to mention that the Cluj cabbage recipe can be made with both sauerkraut (most often) and sweet cabbage. It's all about everyone's taste.
For the beginning, the cabbage is prepared. Unwrap the pickled cabbage leaves, wash well to get rid of salt and cut thinly, thin strips. Meanwhile, you can also boil the rice with a little salt. After it is almost boiled, strain it and set it aside.
Then, clean the onions, cut them into small pieces and put them to harden in a little oil. When the onion becomes glassy, add the meat, season with salt and pepper, then mix well and cook until it changes color. Turn off the heat and add the rice, then mix well. For those who like thyme, I can add a little chopped thyme.
Grease a yena bowl and add a layer of cabbage. Sprinkle with tomato juice, add half of the minced meat, sprinkle again a little tomato juice, put another layer of cabbage, tomato juice and the rest of the meat. On top, put the last layer of cabbage over which is poured the rest of the tomato juice.
Bake for about 30-40 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degrees. Remove, pour the cream, then put the preparation in the oven for another 10 minutes. Once it is ready, take it out and leave it to cool a bit, and then it is only good to taste!
- 1.2 kg of sauerkraut
- 500 g minced pork
- 150 g of rice
- a large onion
- 500 g concentrated tomato juice
- 5-6 tablespoons oil
- a teaspoon of paprika
- dried thyme
- dry dill
- salt and pepper
If you find yourself in the taste of the recipes on this blog, I am waiting for you every day on facebook page. You will find there many recipes posted, new ideas and discussions with those interested.
* You can also sign up for Recipes group of all kinds. There you will be able to upload your photos with tried and tested dishes from this blog. We will be able to discuss menus, food recipes and much more. However, I urge you to follow the group's rules!
You can also follow us on Instagram and Pinterest, with the same name "Recipes of all kinds".
Cabbage from Cluj
When the onion has softened, add 150 g of washed rice and kept in cold water for 20 minutes. Stir.
Add 200 ml of hot water, stir, put the lid on and let the rice swell over low heat for 10 minutes.
Remove the lid and stir.
Add 1 kg of minced pork. Stir.
When the meat has blanched, add 250 g of tomato puree, salt, ground pepper, thyme and paprika.
Stir and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and divide the composition into 2 equal parts.
Wash in 2-3 cold waters and squeeze a sauerkraut of about 1.5 kg.
Cut the cabbage into 4 and then chop into thin strips.
Put the hardened cabbage in a large saucepan with 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
Stir and cook for 15-20 minutes on medium heat until soft.
Add mashed pepper, ground cumin and dried dill.
Stir and cook for 2 more minutes.
Take the cabbage off the heat and divide into 3 equal parts.
Grease an oven dish (approximately 20X30cm) with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
Put the first part of the hardened cabbage composition in the bowl. Level the cabbage layer.
Add over the layer of cabbage, half of the meat composition. Uniformize and compact the meat layer.
Add the second part of the sauerkraut.
Put the other half of the meat composition in the pan. Level and press lightly.
Cut 200 g of kaiser into small pieces and add them evenly over the layer of meat.
Place the last part of the sauerkraut on top. Level evenly.
Pour over 150 ml of water.
Place 3 bay leaves over the cabbage.
Put a lid on or cover the vessel in aluminum foil.
Put in the preheated oven at 190 degrees for 2.5 hours. (If you use a softer cabbage, you can keep it in the oven less. The cabbage we used needed the specified time to cook perfectly.)
Remove the cabbage from the oven, remove the lid or aluminum foil and the bay leaves.
Put the cabbage back in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes. This stage is for browning and appearance.
Remove the cabbage from the oven and let it cool for at least 20 minutes.
Serve as you like and serve with plenty of cream.
Recipe video CABBAGE IN CLUJ lower:
- 500 g minced pork
- 1 cabbage of the right size
- a few slices of smoked sausage
- 100 g of rice
- 200 ml of tomato sauce
- paprika, to taste
- 1 onion
- chopped dill to taste
Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan, chop the onion and fry it, then add the minced meat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Meanwhile, boil the rice with a pinch of salt and when ready, drain. After browning the meat, add the rice, 2-3 tablespoons of tomato sauce, paprika, dill and season with salt and pepper.
Mix well and set aside the composition. Chop the cabbage, season with salt and fry in oil in a saucepan. From time to time, add a little hot water and stir so that it does not stick. You take it off the fire when it has softened and all the water has evaporated. Mix the dill with some of the tomato sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
Prepare a tray, sprinkle with oil and add a few tablespoons of tomato sauce. Put half of the cabbage mixture, sprinkle with tomato sauce and place the meat mixture. Over it, put the remaining tomato sauce and the rest of the cabbage. Place a few slices of smoked sausage, as desired, and place the tray in the preheated oven until browned.
Cabbage in Cluj
Without any intention of making fun of this famous cabbage from Cluj, the dish is a kind of & # 8220sarmale unpacked & # 8221. It has practically all the ingredients from sarmale (meat, cabbage, rice, onion, tomatoes), but instead of being rolled, all layers are put.
Searching the net for the history of the & # 8220Varza a la Cluj & # 8221 recipe, I found some very interesting information.
According to the Cluj News website, the recipe dates from 1695 and appeared in Miklos Misztotfalusi's "Miklós Tótfalusi Kis" under the name "Cluj cabbage". The historian Lukacs Jozsef records that cabbage was consumed by the inhabitants of the area since 1442, being cultivated in the gardens of monasteries. & # 8220Thus, in a protocol from 1442 of the Convention from Cluj-Manastur & # 8211 where there is a Benedictine monastery & # 8211 is mentioned a nobleman from Iara who swears that he did not give the order to his people to harm another nobleman from Iara. Among other things, he swears that he did not order the cabbage to be taken from him”Says Lukacs Jozsef & # 8221 (source).
Other information about cabbage in Cluj can be found on the Cluj.com website. Here is mentioned both the recipe from the & # 8220Cooker Book from Cluj & # 8221 and a recipe that the Salaj gastronome Mircea Groza found in an old book printed in Hungarian in Baia Mare in 1913:
"Cut a small red onion and cook in 50-60 grams of fat (lard). One kilo of diced pork is put over the hardened onion, add salt, a little water and simmer until the meat becomes soft. Separately, in a 40-50 gram grease, simmer a plate for soup full of sauerkraut, pickled, finely chopped.
Also separately, in a little grease, about 20 grams, with finely chopped red onions a little hardened, fry the rice a little, add salt, pepper, water, soften. The meat, cabbage and rice are placed in layers in a larger labos (pan). Put the cream between the layers and put it in the oven. Do not mix at all, when it is ready, turn it over on a plate and serve. "
If you want to prepare cabbage in Cluj, arm yourself with patience, because both the preparation and the baking take a long time. What you get, instead, is a delight.
The secret of the best Cabbage recipe in Cluj
There is also research related to this recipe, made by the Hungarian historian Cserna-Szab Andr s.
For example, the earliest mention of the famous recipe dates back to 1695, when it appeared in a Hungarian cookbook entitled articCarticica of the kitchen craft .
It is also said that the original recipe has nothing to do with the city of Cluj, there are countless ways to prepare this dish.
In any case, we will reveal the secret that underlies the best Cabbage recipe in Cluj.
- a sweet or pickled cabbage
- one kilogram of minced pork
- an onion
- A cup of rice
- oil or lard
- 200 milliliters of tomato sauce
- sour cream
- 1 glass of red wine
Method of preparation:
Because it is a layered dish, Cluj cabbage is prepared separately and then assembled.
For the meat layer - Finely chop the onion and cook in two tablespoons of oil and two tablespoons of water. When the onion turns golden, add the minced meat with salt and let it soak.
Boil only half the rice in water and, after draining, add over the meat, along with a tablespoon of tomato sauce and two tablespoons of sour cream, hot and sweet paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.
For the cabbage layer - finely chop the cabbage and cook in two tablespoons of oil. After it changes color, add a cup of water and let it cool.
Add chopped dill, a tablespoon of tomato sauce, salt, pepper and thyme.
Placement in the vessel - In a heat-resistant dish pour two tablespoons of oil, two tablespoons of sour cream and three tablespoons of tomato sauce.
Place a layer of sauerkraut, tomato sauce, then a layer of meat and rice, tomato sauce and, finally, another layer of sauerkraut, over which put a thicker tomato sauce and a few slices of smoked bacon.
Leave the pot in the hot oven for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown.
In order for the food to acquire a special aroma, a glass of red wine is added, shortly before the food is ready.
Ingredients for the cabbage recipe from Cluj
- -1.5 kg minced pork + beef
- - 500 g onions (3 large onions)
- -1 large carrot
- - 2.5-3 kg of sauerkraut
- - a jar of 400 g tomatoes in broth
- -300 g long grain rice
- -2 teaspoons salt
- -1 teaspoon grated pepper
- -1 tablespoon with top of paprika
- - 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- -1 green parsley link
- -1 green dill connection
- -optionally 2 tablespoons lard